- Clear out unwanted goods
- Get rid of flammables – paint, gasoline, petrol, gas cylinders and propane tanks
- Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers etc.
- Clothes – Goodwill needs what you don’t want
- Start making up your change of address list (credit card bills, subscriptions, etc.)
- Arrange to have your mail forwarded
- Agree to termination dates for utilities
- If you are moving electronics such as a flat screen televison, see if you still have the original box
- Gather personal documentation – marriage/birth certificates, passports, etc. and keep in your possession
- We do not move firearms and ammunition. Please transport these yourself
- Please move yourself all items of intangible value such as coin collections, manuscripts, etc.
- Remember to pack and move yourself items like money, jewelry and medications
Use only strong, corrugated boxes with covers. We can sell you boxes that you can use to pack everything in your home. The added protection of mover-provided boxes may avoid damage that results from the use of poor-quality packing materials. See our packing supplies available for purchase.
- Pack several boxes a day, starting well ahead of your move date.
- Mark all boxes, designating room and box number on top and side.
- Be sure to have plenty of cushioning material in each box.
- Be sure that the bottom of all boxes are secured and will hold the weight of the contents.
- Packing tape is better than masking tape.
- Pack heavier items toward the bottom of the box and lighter items toward the top.
Boxes should not weigh more than 50lbs each.
- A general rule to remember when packing boxes – the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
Specialized Packing Tips
The list of individual household items is endless. Most can be packed by following our packing pointers. Here are some additional packing tips for major items. If you want a more comprehensive list of how to pack special items, please feel free to call our office or email us at [email protected]