- Clear out unwanted goods
- Get rid of flammables – paint, gasoline, petrol, gas cylinders and propane tanks
- Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers etc.
- Clothes – Goodwill needs what you don’t want
- Start making up your change of address list (credit card bills, subscriptions, etc.)
- Arrange to have your mail forwarded
- Agree to termination dates for utilities
- If you are moving electronics such as a flat screen televison, see if you still have the original box
- Gather personal documentation – marriage/birth certificates, passports, etc. and keep in your possession
- We do not move firearms and ammunition. Please transport these yourself
- Please move yourself all items of intangible value such as coin collections, manuscripts, etc.
- Remember to pack and move yourself items like money, jewelry and medications
Use only strong, corrugated boxes with covers. We can sell you boxes that you can use to pack everything in your home. The added protection of mover-provided boxes may avoid damage that results from the use of poor-quality packing materials. See our packing supplies available for purchase.
- Pack several boxes a day, starting well ahead of your move date.
- Mark all boxes, designating room and box number on top and side.
- Be sure to have plenty of cushioning material in each box.
- Be sure that the bottom of all boxes are secured and will hold the weight of the contents.
- Packing tape is better than masking tape.
- Pack heavier items toward the bottom of the box and lighter items toward the top.
Boxes should not weigh more than 50lbs each.
- A general rule to remember when packing boxes – the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
Specialized Packing Tips
The list of individual household items is endless. Most can be packed by following our packing pointers. Here are some additional packing tips for major items. If you want a more comprehensive list of how to pack special items, please feel free to call our office or email us at [email protected]
Barbecue Grills and Propane Tanks
Wrap grates and briquettes separately in a newspaper (or place all briquettes into a grocery bag) and place parts in box. Pad box with paper to reduce movement of contents. Propane tanks are not allowed to be transported on a moving truck.
Canned Goods and Other Non-Frozen Food
Pack upright with no more than 24-30 cans per box (we recommend using a 16x12x12 or book box). Do not pack perishables for the moving truck. We recommend you discard or take them yourself. Pack boxed foods separately in small moving boxes.
Remove or secure pendulum in large clocks. Grandfather clocks should be prepared for moving by expert servicemen. Please call our office to arrange these services.
Pack valuable electronic equipment in original boxes (if available.) Otherwise, use strong, corrugated boxes and place protective padding on the bottom of the box. Wrap bubble wrap around the item and place it in a box. Place additional padding between the box and the computer. Wrap cords separately, label to identify them from others and place in a plastic bag away from delicate surfaces. Non-detachable cords should also be wrapped. Place cords between the padded computer and the box. Be sure your personal computer is shut down prior to packing it.
- Select a medium-sized box or dish pack box and line the bottom of the carton with crumpled packing paper.
- Wrap each item and pack plates standing on their edge. Use this process on all saucers, bread and butter dishes. When packing smaller dishes, you may choose to stack in greater quantity.
- With packing paper in place on the work table, position one cup six to eight inches from one of the corners of the paper.
- Place glasses and stemware toward the top of your box. Heavier items (dish–ware, pitchers, etc.) should be placed toward the bottom of the box.
Drapes and Curtains
Hang drapes over crossbars in a wardrobe box, or pack folded in clean boxes. Remove curtains from rods, fold and pack in boxes.
Don’t overload. Too heavy of a load can cause damage. Remove any personal items such as money or jewelry and move those yourself. Also, pack any items that could break in a separate box.
Flammables and Combustibles
Flammable liquids and aerosol cans must not be packed. Changes in temperature and pressure can cause them to leak, or even explode. For your own protection, you should know that if you pack these items and they cause damage to your shipment or others, you not your mover, will be held liable.
Frozen Food and Plants
Due to the delicate and perishable nature of these items, your mover is prohibited from accepting these packed items when your shipment is being transported more than 150 miles and/or delivery will not be accomplished within twenty-four (24) hours from the time of loading. Frozen food shipped within these guidelines must be packed in a freezer which at time of loading is at normal deep-freeze temperature.
When preparing a hot tub for moving be sure to completely drain and empty the tub. The power/gas will need to be disconnected prior to the move. We can move any hot tub up to 8×8 in size. Please call our office with your hot tub dimensions so we can arrange for this service.
Lamps and Lampshades
Remove bulbs, harps and shades. Roll up cord. Pack lamps base in the specialty lamp base box. Wrap harp and finial (decorative knob) with packing paper and tape to inside wall of carton that contains shade. Wrap shades in tissue or packing paper – not newspaper. Place upright in a medium sized box.
Seal caps with masking tape. Wrap and pack upright in small boxes. Take these boxes with you.
Mirrors, Paintings and Pictures
Tell your moving coordinator about valuable paintings for special care. Wrap small mirrors, pictures, paintings, and frames and place on edge in picture/mirror boxes. Large wall or dresser mirrors will be taken down by the movers and placed in special boxes.
To prepare to move a pool table, you can pack your pool table accessories in a moving box. Since most pool tables contain 3 pieces of slate that need to be disassembled and reassembled before and after we move it, we can recommend expert servicemen to provide that service. Please call our office for this referral.
Rocky Mountain Movers is able to move safes up to 1200 lbs. All safes should be emptied prior to moving and those valuables should be transported by the customer. Please call our office to arrange services to have your safe moved.
Wrap each piece in cloth or low sulfur content paper to prevent tarnishing. Place silverware in a box or silverware chest and cushion the sides with packing paper.
Drain fuel from power tools (do not ship flammables under any circumstances). Pack tools in small, strong cartons. Wrap separately if sharp.
Washer and Dryer
It is your responsibility to disconnect and reconnect gas and electric appliances. This is important in case there are any problems such as a leaky faucet or a broken turn off valve. Once disconnected, secure the cords to the back of the machines and secure the drum and other parts to protect them during your move.